Sunday, November 06, 2005

Let's move to Michigan.. NOT!

A friend of mine just moved to Michigan to chase a job selling tile.  Tile. Tile!  Who up and moves to Michigan, first of all and who goes to sell tile?  

It makes me seriously think about whether or not I have or want a life here in the sunny state of So. California.  With people moving out in droves, populating the rest of the country (sorry about that Arizona, Nevada, Tennessee, etc), I’m beginning to believe that that’s the way of the future.  Nothing is ever going to get cheaper here because for every person that leaves this wastebasket of a state, 3 or 4 people are moving in.

Not too long ago, the ex and I went to Arizona to visit a friend of hers.  She and her husband had a HUGE house, not too far from Scottsdale.  We started looking for new jobs and had dreams of moving there.  But, it became clear that it was not feasible at the time because our debt to income ratio was too high.  Or, at least I thought it was.  It’d be pretty irrational to move somewhere and not be able to get what we want.  

I still want to move to Az, or even Nevada or New Mexico but what are the job markets like?  I have a friend in San Antonio, Texas.  Her and her husband actually live in the burbs.  It’s actually quite nice there.  

I’m torn because I actually like it here, but unless I win the lottery or get hit by a City vehicle (and I have to survive that, of course) I’m not going to have enough money to live my California dream.  And I do have dreams, regardless of what others may think.  

My friend, who has moved to Michigan to follow his somewhat diluted dream, is also dragging his wife with him.  Not only did he get married before me (this guy was known as ‘The Stalker’ at Disneyland when we worked there because he would stalk the girls he liked… it was completely overblown and taken out of context… just ignore the restraining order) he is moving out before me.  I find this rather depressing because I want a piece of that lifestyle, too.  

Not that I want to move to Michigan.  The winters there suck frozen balls!

2 comments:

Sanns said...

Do not move to Michigan! Or Illinois or the midwest period! :-) Just my personal opinion. Arizona is wonderful though.... and I'm particular to Colorado as I lived there all my life up to about 2 years ago... but I'm moving back.

Steve said...

Someone I worked with just moved back to Colorado.

Though I family in Michigan, I'd never move there.. though Chicago is tempting.