Sunday, November 04, 2007

General BS

How is the electrical system in the International Space Station grounded? Is there a tether to the earth we don't know about? I hope their electrical systems are wired correctly.

Does the Second Law of Thermodynamics prove the existence of god? The energy between the universe and the bodies within the universe are becoming equal. Someone I read used the example of a hot cup of coffee losing its heat in a closed room. Eventually, the room and the cup of coffee will have equal temperature. The heat energy of the coffee simply transfered to the room but it was never really lost. However, that cup of coffee will never get hot again (unless someone sticks it in the microwave); it and the room will stay the same temp forever (barring fluctuations). So, where did all the energy come from when the universe was created? It is theorized that the universe had a starting point. If you picture the universe as a spring, in its compressed state, eventually it will expel its energy by expanding. But what (or who) created this energy? Did god violate the second law of thermodynamics? After all, he created it - he can surely break it. But why would he do that? Did he create the law after he created the energy? Then I would have to ask the question, did he know it would eventually lead to the creation of all of the galaxies, planets and life forms? If so, did he know what would happen thereafter? If he did (and he should), we would have no free will and everything is destined and I could live in a box and know that the outcome of my life was predestined and I have no choice. Okay, I'm getting a little ahead of myself there. And this is assuming there is but one god.

Anyway.. thinking about it, it could be that the energy could have been created by friction (static electricity). With all of that build up in a singularity, such friction could cause a shitload of energy. That energy then expands in an explosion and wah-lah, one universe, please. And the universe is still expanding (no gravity, no friction, endless expansion). Ugh, I can't even speculate the boundaries of the universe - the concept of what's beyond it is so beyond my comprehension, it gives me a headache. But, the universe can be one of two things: forever expanding or, being like a rubberband, it will eventually contract. Some theories speculate that the universe is like a big rubberband (or more like a rubber ball?) and it will contract back to its singularity, then once again expand. In any case, the energy wasn't created, it simply transferred from one state to another (I speculate. I'm not a scientist, nor do I play one on tv) and the second law of thermodynamics wasn't violated, not that I can really see how it would apply now that I think about it - because it deals with heat energy) and a god had no part in it. But if god did create the energy to start the universe then what created the energy of god? If people cannot accept that the energy of the universe was always there, then why should I accept that the energy of god was always there? In any case, it all makes sense to me and that's what really matters. :-)

But the real question is - what's holding our universe to allow it all that room to expand?

Hmm, thinking about it, maybe there's an entity named Frank (so sayeth on his labcoat) who created the beginnings of our universe (in the petree dish I mentioned in another entry) and he has simply walked away.. Oh no.. I'm a deist now (which is the most logical choice if one had to believe in a god).

---

I should stop poking fun. You may not realize it, but I am looking for answers. But all I see at this point is that there aren't any. None that satisfy me anyway. I know why the sky is blue. I know how babies are made. I know there is no Santa Claus. I just don't know what my purpose is. Once again, I'm questioning my beliefs. But I think it's a good thing. Everyone should from time to time.

I'm thinking too much. I think I'll work it off at the gym now.

No comments: