Thursday, January 31, 2008

Some thoughts...

So.. I'm now in English 103. Seems the professor thought I was capable of taking the class. After thinking about "The Importance of Social Service for Students", I decided it wasn't about services (emphasis on the plural) but more along the lines of what students could do in society. It was rather difficult writing a 200 word paragraph, I must admit, but it worked and that's all that mattered. I do believe that it's quite beneficial for students, while in college, to do social work. It's beneficial not only to them but to the community in which they serve. But, I digress. It's not important anymore. Needless to say, I'm in class, it's paid for and I have purchased the book. I can't wait. Logic and Critical Writing. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Anyway.. here are some thoughts.. I was thinking about this as I was driving home today listening to songs on my iPod -- why do people get offended by words, names, verbal assaults? Why??

Ok, I call you a whore and now you're upset or hurt. Did it do something to you? Did a word, something that comprises of letters, syllables and nothing physically threatening, actually cause you pain?

If so, you're a twit. You're allowing a word to control you. You're allowing the person "assaulting" you with that word to hurt you giving them power over you. You are weak. To make a big deal out of a verbal exchange is simply stupid.

See, you're allowing a negative connotation affect you in a way that is silly. You should be above that. Why should I allow a word like 'fag' or 'cocksucker' or 'fucktard' bother me? I'm none of the negative connotations they denote. If I were a woman, why would I allow the word 'bitch', 'whore', 'cunt' or 'slut' bother me? I know I wouldn't be any of those. And even if I were, so? They're only words. Letters grouped into something understandable.

If they bother you so much, try taking the words that bother you, writing them down and burning them? Crumple them up and throw them away.

It's silly. Anyone who is affected by a word should really get over it. They're only words. In the scheme of things, they're non-issues.

No comments: