Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dissed by Disney

What has come to this world where one can be interviewed… by the internet?

Today I pushed aside my pride and applied for a part-time job at Disneyland. What happened was this – I filled out their small booklet of paperwork. I then waited almost an hour and a half to be put into a room where I watched a propaganda video showcasing their “Disney Way”. Afterwards, I’m placed in a room where I’m given a web-based “interview.” This wasn’t an interview. This was a questionnaire that asks many of the same questions in different ways to measure some sort of response. To answer them by saying Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree.

After this, I am told I cannot go on in the interview process because of the answers I gave on this web-based “interview”.

Where were the questions related to my seven years of service to the Disney Company? Where were the questions in regards to the lead positions I held? Where were the questions that related to my training position I held in my department for four of those years? Yes, I worked at the Park for 7 years... 1990-97. I guess that didn't matter because, shit, I didn't answer their fucking questions to their liking.

I find it almost degrading and insulting that a company who looks for quality personnel cannot do a quality interview. I’ve never seen a cattle-call interview process such as the one Disneyland has. For a company that needs people to work there, they sure know how to pick the good ones. You cannot judge a person by the way they answer flawed questions based on Agree or Disagree situations. It confuses the questionnaire taker as well as forces them to figure out what the asker is wanting.

Unfortunately, more companies are using these psychological measuring tools to weed out those that do not conform to their views. To ask the same question over and over in different ways to try and “trip up” the subject is not only unethical in my eyes, but also weeds out those that have half a brain and can think freely and on their own. Because those that pass the test are doing so because they guessed right and gave answers they thought the Company wanted.

Six months from now, when I apply again for a part-time job at the Happiest Place on Earth, I shall remember to lie on the questionnaire so that all my answers are positive. Because that’s what they want, right? A bunch of liars who are desperate for a shitty ass job in a theme park that people think is god’s gift.

Whatever.

No comments: