Sunday, September 14, 2008

Photographs: A Train Ride

So there was a slight accident with Metrolink this past week. A couple of trains were derailed, a few people were hurt, a couple were even killed. These things happen and shouldn't scare you away from riding the train! [Please.. put your sensitivity in check, would ya? Umm.. No.]



I arrived at the train station around 9:30am. I was a little early, but I wanted to take in the atmosphere of a real live train station. I hadn't taken a train anywhere since I was a younger lad (and in another country even!) so I was actually excited to be off on this adventure.



I always thought Los Angeles was heavenly. It is the place where we go to after we die. [sarcasm: off]





So, the train came and we all boarded (all four of us at the station. Two Korean tourists and some skater kid. Oh wait.. I think a transient woman came at the last minute). I was so jumpy with glee. I'm on the train!




I took a few pictures as we moved, going towards the great city of Los Angeles. Mind you, I could have driven into LA from the OC but that would have cost me more than the ticket, actually. $8.50 for a round trip and I can use it on a bus ride as well. A gallon of gas was 4 something and I'm sure I would have used a few gallons.






The trip wouldn't have been right if there wasn't any graffiti to be seen along the way.




The Promised Land®. It looms over the horizon like.. well.. a city. Duh!




The hallways that lead to civilization. Or to another train. One of the two.





I took the subway, which cost another 5 bucks for an all-day pass, to China Town. AN ALL DAY PASS for FIVE firggin' bucks. C'mon. I could have gone all the way to Pasadena if I wanted to. Anyway, there's good food, clothing and some really nifty gift ideas to be had in the CT. I ended up walking back to Union Station, which is where I came from to get to CT. Hmm. Anyway...





I walked back to Olvera Street, which is right across the street from the train station. Talk about cool. This place is pretty much the center of Los Angeles, the birthplace even. I haven't been here since the 4th grade. Srsly.






Here I am exploiting the natives while they dance. Talk about Dance Dance Revolution.... without the revolution. Give Mexico back Los Angeles. Oh.. wait.. they have it already.





So I jumped onto the Red Line and headed up to Hollywood. A friend was out that way and I thought I'd meet up with him. In the first pic, I'm just lounging. The second pic is a stop on the way. Again, we in the OC don't have the luxury of subways. Just shitty busses. With shitty people. Who smell like shit.






I met up with my friend and we kicked it at The Pig and Whistle. A swanky little joint I must say. I started with a vodka martini, very dry, and after that I had a single-malt scotch. After those I had a few (too many) more drinks. The bartender, whose name escapes me at the moment (it started with at 'T' I'm sure), was very cute, very friendly and had a few shots with my friend and me. I'll be taking the train more just to hit this place up, that's for sure.




So it's back onto the subway. Destination: home. But I have to get back to Union Station, first.



Here are some interior shots of some closed off areas in Union Station. I had some time to kill and the alcohol consumption was kicking in (and kicking my ass) so I lounged around a bit. I will not be doing that again. Oh, who am I kidding?


Rawr! Oh, please. Like you've never done anything silly within a photograph before. Like hold up the Leaning Tower of Pisa or squished your mate's head. Or taken nudie.. nevermind.



A photograph of the 5 freeway at dusk. I didn't know the guy would be in it but it was a happy accident. Thinking back.. I should have put myself in the photograph.. next time.



Another, better photograph. Person free.



My train for the ride home, in the station.


It was a wonderful day. I even bought a suit at this place on Hollywood Blvd. Black, pinstripe, single-breasted three-piece. I'm wearing it into town the next time. It goes well with my hat.


So, don't let a few mishaps dampen your potential train riding experience. The Metrolink is the bomb diggity and I mean that. Not only is it a fun and memorable experience, it saves you a shitload of money on gas. Plus, there's no worries about who's going to drive, where to park, none of that shit. Good times.

No comments: