Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Assisted Suicide: Is it right or wrong?

After reading the article, Why I want my husband's death in a suicide clinic shown on TV... he wanted to get people thinking and talking about it (that's one fucking long-ass title!), I got to thinking.. is it wrong to assist one in committing suicide? Is it, especially if they're going to die from a horrible disease eventually?

No, it isn't wrong. Nor is it wrong to take your own life. In any case.

There are those out there that think we have the right to life. Well, no duh. Everyone has a right to live (this is not a doorway into the anti-abortion argument. Do not go there). I think that right is a given. In fact, it shouldn't even be up for debate. It's a given, much like how the world is round, the sky is blue and water makes things wet. There is no room for debate. Since it's a given, a fundemental right, what about the right to die? Don't we have the right to die? We're all going to die anyway. Why can't we control it?

I've toyed with the idea of suicide many numerous amount of times. It's something I think about from time to time even now. If I want to jump off the Golden Gate, take a bunch of pills, put a gun to my head (messy, but effective) I should be able to without some religious zealot (because it usually is) or some moral majority nutjob telling me it's wrong.

Why is it wrong? If I don't believe in your god, your morals or your ideals, why must I take the stance that suicide is wrong? Are the Japanese wrong for thinking it's honorable for killing one's self? Are the the desperate and desolate wrong for having only one more choice in life? Are those who just don't have anything more to live for wrong, too? No.

Sure, some people have no business offing themselves; it can be premature and some people are just too into drama to realize that they have other avenues to persue. Don't get me wrong, I don't think one should just take the road to self-killing straight away. There should be some thought involved, some reflection on the situation. It shouldn't be the first option. It should, though, be a viable option.

As Phyllis Bowman, of Right to Life, said in the article: 'This is promoting assisted suicide. What kind of effect do they imagine it is going to have on a depressive. It undermines the vulnerable and it also undermines people's right to life.'

Does it really? Are the vulnerable undermined? More so, does it undermine our right to life? As if people, who are happy and content to be alive will now go and jump off a cliff because suicide, specifically assisted suicide, will undermind their right to live? Bollocks, as they say in Britain. Absolute bollocks.

No comments: