Friday, November 21, 2008

Remembering..

I was reading a blog about the late Robert Steinberg. He was a doctor turned chocolatier who recently died of cancer. He and a partner of his created the ScharffenBerger brand, an American chocolate maker that specializes in dark chocolate. I was recently reading a blog about his recent passing and the stories, anecdotes and other tidbits others had about him. (On a side note, I had heard about his passing on NPR the day after he had died. I did not know who he was but he seemed like an awesome guy)

Reading the blog, it got me thinking about how others perceive me and how they will remember me when I'm gone. Then, it occured to me that I want to be remembered positively and with fondness; I want people to have good stories about me when I'm gone.

I know people think I'm an asshole. And I know people think I'm a pussy. But I don't know whether people would cry for me or not when I'm being buried. I don't know if people will have a beer in my honour after the funeral or if people will joke about the many stunts they and I went through when we had our fun.

I don't know if people will even say they loved me.

I want to be something more. I've stated this before. But, I don't want to go out of my way to achieve greatness, like many have in the past. If it happens, awesome. If not, meh. I can live with that, I guess. But the one thing I hope is that my friends love me and those whose paths I've crossed never forgot me. I hope I've enriched at least one person's life in this world. If I've done that, my life hasn't been a complete waste.

No comments: