Friday, July 25, 2008

Comic Con 2008: Day 1

Day One, Comic Con and the freaks are out in full force. It's worth the price of admission, which is ZERO. It's good to have press cred's. Currently, I'm sitting in this place called Basic, on J Street and Tenth. As the name suggests, this place is pretty simple. It's sparse; it looks like it was a garage some time in the distant past. And now, there are two bars, a pool table (purple tabletop, very nice) and a very cute bartender. Very. (Note to self - you really need to get out more).

Anyway..

I sit here, drinking my overpriced single malt Scotch, watching the droves of fucking retards with their day-passes to the convention walking around in costume as tributes to some stupid animation on Adult Swim. Sure, I shouldn't bag on these diehard fans who live only to be Naruto or Pikachu or whatever.. isn't Cowboy Bebob totally dead? The only plus side to this is that there are a ton of geek girls.. HOT geek girls, dressed as their favourite characters.. scantally clad characters. Oh, the humanity. I even saw some idiot dressed up like Strongbad. C'mon, Homestar Runner was so 2006. Get with the present, for fuck's sake. Is it even still popular?

So the convention center is grossly overpacked with Clearasil-needing nerds, kids without parents (for the day - hooray for them!) and people who are either "Professional" or in the media (like myself). Hell, I even passed Margaret Cho on the street. She looked like ass.

But anyway.. I didn't get here early enough and I've been missing the panels I want to see. Hopefully, I can get into the Ghost Hunters panel at 3p.. I'd better hurry! But the conversation with the bartender is nice.

So, until next time!

No comments: