Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Why?

I was listening to NPR this morning (or was it AM radio, can't remember these days... er..) and this story about how the city of Los Angeles is trying to redesign their city seal because it has a cross in it.

I find it absurd that people have nothing better to do than to worry that their city seal has a religious symbol in it.

Oh No! Can't have that! It might destroy the city and the state and then the country if we put religious symbols in our governmental signs, seals and establishments.

Yes, I know. Seperation of Church and State. Has anyone seen our currency? In God We Trust anyone?

When people have to focus on things that not don't affect society and don't affect the way we live but only affect a mindset that we need to have some sort of seperation between god and government it's ludicrous. With all of the things that are happening in the world, this is one thing that I don't really care about. It pisses me the hell off that people are focused on petty shit like this.

And before you go accusing me of being some sort of religious retard I'm not.

I'm an atheist.

And I could give a shit if I say it or if my future children say it or if anyone I know or love say it -- One Nation Under God. They're just words.

It's like being a homophobe.. People are so scared of gay people that they can't even be seen watching Will and Grace. Maybe people are just scared they'll be sucked into being a Catholic or something.. that they'll start molesting children or something.. I don't know. It's funny.

All I know is that a cross in the LA city seal isn't going to change the way people live or how city government operates. Those who are concerned should be concerned about other things, like why we're spending billions of dollars on an illegal war. Why we're spending more money taking care of Israel and the Middle East when that money should be spent here.

I think if people had half a brain and some sense to actually do something in their lives and not follow, maybe they'll actually find the cheese at the end of the maze.

No comments: